Dark ugly discoloration of skin under eyes is known as dark circles. It’s also called shadows or dark rings.
There are a lot of reasons because of which they occur but the main reasons include aging, heredity, prolonged crying, dry skin, working till late in front of the computer, physical or mental stress, being deprived of sleep, unhealthy diet, etc. Both women and men belonging to different age group may have dark rings.
Shadows are not serious, but many a times they make the person look tired, unhealthy, exhausted and older. You may be easily able to get rid of them with the help of some very easy and simple home remedies.
Below are the best ways of getting rid of the dark circles.
Almond oil is a wonderful natural ingredient which is quite beneficial for delicate skin under the eyes. Regular using almond oil helps in fading the dark circles. Additionally, you may also use Vitamin E for eliminating the dark rings under your eyes.
Cucumber has skin lightening and mild astringent properties which help in fixing the raccoon eyes in a natural. Also, they have got a very refreshing and soothing effect on the eyes.
· Peel and cut a cucumber into very thick slices and then chill it in refrigerator for half an hour. Put these slices on the affected area for ten minutes. Wash off the area with warm water. Repeat the remedy two times a day for one week.
· Another effective option is mixing the juice of cucumber with lime juice in equal quantity. With the help of a cotton ball, apply this mixture on affected area. Leave it for fifteen minutes and wash off with luke warm water. Do it daily for one week at least.
There are lot of natural bleach agents which are there in potato which can help in lightening the dark circles and getting rid of the puffiness under the eyes.
Just grate raw potatoesfor extracting the juice. Now with the help of the cotton ball place it on the eyes and let it stay for a while. Just make sure that the juice is covering the dark rings under the eyes and the eyelids. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off your eyelids properly with cold water. Repeat this process once daily for at least a couple of weeks.
In place of potato, you may also use sliced thick potato for removing the dark circles.
Rose water possesses wonderful ingredients for taking care of the skin. It helps in rejuvenating the skin and has also got a soothing effect on the tired and dull eyes. Because of the mild properties, rose water is also quite effective as a skin toner.
1. Just soak a cotton eye pad in rose water and leave it for a couple of minutes.
2. Keep the soaked cotton pad on the closed eyes.
3 Leave it on for at least 15 minutes.
4 Follow the remedy two times a day for a few weeks.
Tomatoes have got bleaching properties which help in lightening the skin to a huge extent.
Mix 1 teaspoon tomato juice in11/2 teaspoon lime juice. Apply the mixture gently on dark circles and let it sit for ten minutes. Rinse it with warm water. Follow the remedy at least two times a day for a couple of weeks. Simply the tomato juice would also work.
You may even drink one glass tomato juice by adding some mint-leaves, salt and lime juice in it. For achieving best results, make sure that you drink the juice right after preparing it. You can also drink it two times a day also for one week.
Lime juice has got Vitamin C which helps in removing dark circles, as it has got skin lightening properties.
Take a cotton-ball for applying fresh lime juice around the eyes. Let it sit for ten minutes and then rinse it. Repeat this once or twice daily for some weeks.
· Another good option is making thick paste of the juice by mixing 1 tbsp. lemon juice, 2 tbsp. tomato puree, pinch of gram-flour as well as turmeric powder. Gently apply the thick paste around the eyes. Rinse off with clean fresh water after 10-5 minutes. Repeat the process two times or three times in a week.
Note: in case lime juice causes burning sensation on your skin then don’t use it.
Gently massaging with Coconut Oil is also a very effective way of lightening the dark rings. Because of the moisturizing qualities coconut oil has, it helps in promoting smooth skin and preventing wrinkles as well as fine lines.
1. Gently massage some coconut oil under the eyes.
2. Leave it for a couple of hours, and wash it with warm water.
3. Repeat the remedy twice or thrice daily for a couple of months for getting best results.
The antioxidants and caffeine which is present in the tea bags is quite beneficial for removing dark ringsand puffiness as it shrinks blood vessels, and reduces retention of fluid. Tannins, in particular, are quite effective in decreasing discoloration and swelling.
1. Chill 2 used black or green tea bags in refrigerator for one hour.
2. Place 1 tea bag on each eye and then leave it for 10-5 minutes.
3. Remove them and wash off your face.
4. Repeat the remedy once daily for couple of weeks.
Note: Be careful while using the tea bags so that the tea does not get into your eyes.
Cold compress helps in constricting the blood vessels and also helps in reducing dark circles and puffiness under the eyes.
· Soak washcloth in coolmilk or water. Keep it on your closed eyes for a couple of minutes.
· Alternatively, you may also wrap some ice cubes into a soft piece of cloth or a napkin and keep it under the eyes for a couple of minutes. You may also keep frozen peas, cold spoon or chilled teabag.
Turmeric has a lot of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help in minimizing the dark rings. It also helps in making the skin under the eyes soft and smooth.
1. Mix 2 teaspoons turmeric powder in pineapple juice for making a very thick paste.
2. Apply the paste on the affected areas.
3. Leave it for 10 minutes and then wipe it off with a damp and soft cloth.
4. Repeat this regularlytill you achievegood results.
Take adequate rest and sleep.
Try to avoid rubbing the eyes excessively and too often because it causes dilation of the blood vessels, making the circles under the eyes darker.
Always remove your make up before sleeping or it might irritate the eyes.
Limit exposure to sun.
Drink lot of water throughout the day for getting rid of retention of water retention which might cause the problem.
For avoiding the eye bags which are caused by the pooling of fluid in the lower eyelids, just elevate your head a bit by adding pillows under the head before you go to sleep.
Take a proper and healthy diet and have foods which are rich in VitaminE, A and C.
Stop smoking, and also restrict your consumption of caffeine and alcohol as smoking causes damage to the cells of skin, and caffeine and alcohol lead to dehydration which weakens the fragile skin around eyes.